Last summer I posted a popular DIY Summer Totebag with a link to the tutorial I used. WHAT IS THAT YOU SAY!!!???!
That tutorial is no longer available!!??!
Well, have no fear, The Renegade Seamstress is here.
I just made one for you.
First, you’ll need to choose three fabrics. One for the lining, another for the main body of the bag and a contrasting fabric for the bottom and the straps. This fun IKEA fabric was begging to be made into a bag.
And perfect for a birthday present for my awesome friend, Carol, who celebrated her birthday yesterday.
Happy birthday, Sistah!!!!
You will need:
- 1 yard fabric for exterior of tote
- 1 yard fabric for interior of tote
- 1/3 yard for contrast bottom (more if you are going to make your own straps)
- 1 yard heavy fusible interfacing
- 2 1/2 yards of 1 1/4″ heavy cotton webbing (you won’t need this if you make your own straps)
- Body- Cut one piece 15″ wide x 25 1/2″ long
- Sides- Cut two pieces 4 1/2″ wide x 11 1/2″ long
- Pocket- Cut one piece 8 1/2″ wide x 7″ long
- Bias tape- Cut a piece 2″ wide x 37″ long (Check out this tutorial: The Beauty of Bias Tape: Make Your Own)
- Body- Cut one piece 15″ wide x 10 1/2″ long
- Sides- Cut two pieces 4 1/2″ wide x 4″ long
- Straps- If you decide to make you own instead of using webbing, you’ll need four pieces 2 1/2″ wide x 38″ long
- Body- Cut one piece 18 1/2″ wide x 25″ long
- Body- Cut one piece 14 1/2″ wide x 25″ long
- Sides- Cut two pieces 4″ wide x 11″ long
- Pocket- Cut one piece 8 1/2″ wide by 5 1/2″ long
- If you are making your own straps cut two pieces 1 1/4″ wide x 38″ long
Here’s where you can make your own coordinating straps or use webbing. If you’re making your own, first iron the interfacing on one strap piece. Then, right sides together, sew the two long sides. Turn strap right side out and topstitch the edges. Do this for both straps. Now on to the rest of the bag.
You might also like:
If you haven’t had a chance to check out Sheyanne’s Senior Project, click on her beautiful picture and find out what all the fuss is about:
I hope you will sign up.